My job has a system where an employee can take an extended period of time off and still be employed, they just need to work a minimum of one shift in a calendar year to remain employed.
I I just put in for my last day before the hike.
(Both very excited and kinda nervous right now, to be honest.)
I’m going to be doing a series of “shakedown” hikes, short 3-5 day hikes, where I take my gear out to various parks and trails and camp. This will let me get experience with my gear, and get used to hiking with a pack.
This first hike will be three days, two nights at a park close to home.
- Hammock with suspension and tarp
- Underquilt and top quilt for the hammock
- Change of clothes
- Long underwear (probably won’t need this)
- bear cannister for the food
- food for the trip
- First lunch will be pb&j tortilla wraps with some string cheese
- First dinner will be pizza in a pot
- Breakfast will be strawberry trail mix (dried strawberries, strawberry frosted mini wheats, yogurt covered raisins, chocolate chips)
- Second lunch will also be pb&j tortillas
- Second dinner will be Beefy Noodle Bowl
- Second breakfast will be a Mountain House pre-made meal
- for snacks, I’m bringing some Kind bars and some Nature Valley bars
- basic first aid kit, meds
- hydration bladder
So, after packing, I have found that I’ll need a bigger pack for the trail. I’ll probably get one in the coming months, as the one I have now is fine for short trips.
I’ll be documenting my attempt at a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail in 2017.